Wednesday, June 1, 2011

2.2

Day 2.2

Sleeping In the Bathtub



514 miles 10 hour drive time



Early morning up at 5am, to be on the road at 6am sharp. Another drive day, but hopefully not as bad as yesterday. Coyote Ranch Rv Resort Wichita Falls, Tx. to KOA Santa Fe Nm. 514 Miles per Google maps, appox. 10 hours drive time with fuel and rest stops.



I like to plan fuel & rest stops about every 3 hours give or take. I plan for a 30 minute stop to fuel, stretch, and other things…. I try vary hard not to let stops go over 45 minutes, I’m not making miles unless the wheels are rolling…..



1st Stop should be Clarendon Tx. for fuel, stretch and to drop off some stuff I brought Jade and the boys.



2nd Stop should be Tucumcari Nm. For fuel and stretch and….



We get a little lucky when we cross into New Mexico because we lose an hour. I hope to arrive in Santa Fe around 4pm Texas time 3pm local time….. I have reservations at the Santa Fe KOA. We’ll check-in, set-up, take a walk, and up-date the blog. I also plan to prep our supper for the next day. I’m planning to make a chicken and sausage dish and using the engine of my truck to cook it while on the road Day 3…. I’ll keep ya’ll updated as to how this goes……….



I’m pushing hard these last two days so Pasquale and I can kick back and enjoy ourselves here real soon. In Santa Fe we plan to meet my brother and sister and their families for supper. It’s been a vary LONG time since I’ve seen Jay & Shelia together at the same time, mostly they’ve come to Texas separately and at different times. I have not seen the kids in awhile and wish I had more time to spend with them all. We’ll get to see each other again 4th of July…..



I have to tell a story here…………….



When Shelia’s daughter was a baby my Mother would keep her EVERY chance Mom got. Mom drove back and forth to Austin it seemed like daily to get Emily for a night or two, weekend or what ever. Well Mom and Reece where living in a small apartment while they built their house in POC (Port O’Connor). I was staying with Mom & Dad for a few days in Houston just after I’d got off the Tow Boat and Mom had Emily too.



The apartment was like a bedroom and a quarter…. We’d gone to sleep that night, Mom & Dad in the bedroom, me on the floor, and Emily in her baby bed in the “Sunroom” or what ever it was called. (BIG Closet)



When around midnight or sometime around there, Emily woke up crying. Not bawling or screaming, just a kind of where am I and where is everybody else crying…. I was 6 ft away and fresh off a Tow Boat where engines roar and the boat rolls around BUT babies don’t cry. I leapt to my feet and nano seconds later I had Emily on my shoulder patting her back telling her everything was going to be OK. More for myself than her really….



Just at the vary moment Emily stopped crying and settled down and was at the edge of baby sleep again. Mom rushed into the room throwing the WHITE blinding light on………. Both Emily and I were ambushed by the blinding light and instantly fully awake. Emily BURST into a blinding scream and I stood there in utter confusion…..



All I could do was stare at my Mom thinking, “WHAT IN THE %&$#@ ARE YOU THINKING CRAZY LADY??????”. As Emily kept screaming….. I knew exactly how she felt….



I think Emily cried for four more hours. Mom rocked her, walked her, rocked her, walked her, laid with her and did it all over again. Mom ran me from the couch, the floor, “The Sunroom”, the floor again, Reece finally got up I think at 2am and went to work. I tried to sleep every where in that apartment but as soon as I got comfortable Mom would come along and send me to the next room while she tried to get Emily to go to sleep again.



Finally sometime after the sun came up Emily finally went back to sleep. Right about the time I was getting up out of the only place I could find refuge, the bath tub….(I don’t remember where I finally found refuge, but I remember it felt as if I’d slept in the bath tub!) My Mom looked as if she’d been up for three straight days, all I can remember was I was still thinking???? “WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?????”





Why did I have to tell this story? Well I never see Emily or think about her that that night doesn’t come to mind…………..



Tug





http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=207597223485050952806.0004a3ff22272161a0469&t=h&z=7


No comments:

Post a Comment